Common Maintenance Quick Fixes
Please browse our Quick fixes for the most reported maintenance issues. You may find an easy fix for your issue with no waiting for a maintenance person to visit.
No Hot WaterMake sure gas service is on. Check thermostat on hot water tank. Is pilot light lit? Check breaker panel or fuses.
Hot Water “TOO HOT”Check thermostat on tank and turn down.
Toilet CloggedTry plunger. If still clogged call maintenance. Note: if tenant caused clog, then you will be accountable for bill.
Sink, Tub, or Shower CloggedRemove hair from drain. Try pouring drain cleaner down the drain.
Heater Not WorkingMake sure Gas service is on with utility provider. Check thermostat. Try changing batteries in thermostat. Replace filters. Are furnace covers on correctly? Is pilot light lit? Breaker tripped?
Dishwasher Won’t DrainClean food out of bottom of dishwasher. Clean float. Rinse dishes before washing. Use jet dry once a month. Jet dry prevents hard water build up.
Refrigerator Too Warm or Too ColdCheck thermostat, set correctly. Front and Back grills clean. Clean out drain hole.
- Make sure the emergency gas valve is turned on
- Check to be sure pilot light is lit
- If you are not able to get the pilot light lit, contact Management and we will have an experienced vendor assist you
- Mold can grow most anywhere that spores land and find moisture and a comfortable temperature
- Mold is typically found indoors at levels that do not affect most healthy individuals
- Almost every home gets some type of mold - the trick is to clean it up before it spreads
- The most visible type is mildew, which begins as tiny black spots. This is the stuff you see in grout lines in your shower, on damp window casings, etc.
10 Things to Never Flush Down the Toilet!
- Floss - not bio-degradable
- Grease, Oil & Fat - like heart disease, these will decrease the flow of pipes over time
- Band-aids - these are plastic and not bio-degradable
- Medications - contaminates the water supply
- Disposable Wipes - EVEN if they say you can, Don't!
- Paper Towels - these do not break down like toilet paper
- Feminine Hygiene Products - including cotton pads and swabs
- Cat Litter
How to Shut Off Water to your Toilet in an Emergency
- Turn off water from faucet if possible
- Locate water lines below sink which lead to water valves
- Turn water valves to the RIGHT (clockwise) to stop the water flow
How to Fix Your Air Conditioner - Troubleshooting Tips
- Make sure the power is OFF. Safety First!
- Make sure there is nothing stuck in the disposal causing a jam.
- Press reset button (also located on the bottom of the disposal).
- Turn Power back ON.
How to Change an Air Conditioner Filter
- Locate the air-intake grill that holds the filter. (Locations may vary)
- Open grill, remove old filter.
- Replace with new one - IMPORTANT: air flow arrow on filter to point in the direction air is traveling (being "sucked" to).
- Check filter monthly. A good habit is to check the filter each month when making your rent payment.
- A clean filter will ensure your A/C is running smoothly and keep electric costs to a minimum.
NEVER Pour Grease Down the Drain
- Collect liquid grease to be recycled
- Wipe pans clean with a paper towel
- Rinse pans with cold water
- Food scraps go in garbage, NOT the garbage disposal
How to Stop an Overflowing Toilet
- Remove toilet tank lid
- Lift up the fill valve (or float ball)
- Pull out the water tube
- Reach down and turn OFF the water valve (turn valve CLOCKWISE)
Circuit Breakers & GFI Outlets - Checking and Resetting
- Some outlets are known as GFIs located near wet areas of your home (i.e. kitchen and bathrooms)
- When power becomes overloaded, they will 'trip' (stop working).
- Press reset button on them to power back on (usually small button in the center of the outlet plate)
- Still not working? Check other GFI outlets in the home and reset. If that does not work, find the breaker panel, and check for flipped switches. Flip back to "On" to restore power.
How to Change the Water Filter in Your Refrigerator
- Slow water flow from your fridge? Try changing the water filter
- Filter should be changed every 6 months
- Each fridge will have its own unique filter system - you can find details for each in the manual or by searching online
- Locate the filter, twist to the left to remove, twist right to install
- Some may have a push button system
- Reset the filter button to reflect a new filter has been installed
Why is your Gas Range "Clicking" and won't start?
- Wet burners are usually why a gas stove top will not light
- When cleaning, avoid using too much water that will make the burners wet
- Try to clean using a damp cloth only
- To dry out, turn oven on to 350 degrees for 30 minutes
How to Check Your Toilet for a Silent Leak
- Check for sounds of running water, trickling or hissing sounds
- Add 25 drops of food coloring to inside of toilet tank
- Wait 15 minutes...if no dye shows up in toilet bowl, no leak exists
- If dye appears in bowl, toilet needs repair. Please log a maintenance request through your tenant portal
How to Get Your Key Unstuck from a Deadbolt
- First, realign key so it is in a vertical position (12 o'clock)
- Apply light pressure to smaller disc around the key (called a plug)
- Pull and remove the key from the lock
How to Stop the "Chirp" on a Smoke Detector
- Disconnect the smoke detector by twisting counterclockwise
- Replace the battery with a new one (this will most likely stop the chirping)
- If it is still chirping, remove the battery and hold down the test button for 15 seconds to drain any remaining charge
- Insert the new battery and reattach to the wall/ceiling
- If this doesn’t fix the problem, please contact management
How to Prevent Condensation/Sweating on Windows
- Condensation is caused by high humidity in your home
- Run vent fans in bathrooms when showering to prevent condensation
- Turn off vent fans in the kitchen when cooking
- In extreme situations you may need to install a dehumidifier in your home